Family Eye Care of Ida Grove is available for emergency care to treat eye injuries or infections. Please call our office at (712) 364-3118. If it’s after normal business hours, our voicemail supplies the phone number of our on call optometrist.
During your exam an eye doctor views the inside and outside of the eye to detect the extent of the injury or infection and develops a treatment plan. Possible treatments include prescription medication, removal of foreign body, and follow up exam if needed.
When to seek medical attention
- Something in eye
- Sudden loss or decrease of vision, or the appearance of a “cloudy veil” in front of the eye
- Sudden onset of double vision
- Sudden onset of persistent severe pain in or around the eye or severe pain on movement of the eye
- Sudden onset of drooping eyelid
- Sudden onset of flashing lights and/or floater
- Sudden onset of halos around lights especially if associated with a red, painful eye or brow
- Forceful trauma to the eye
- Chemicals or other toxins splashed into the eye within the last 60 minutes – Irrigate your eye thoroughly for at least 15 minutes with gently running tepid sink water with your eyes open – then call our office
- Sudden onset of red eye with or without pain or visual disturbance
This is only a partial list of potential eye health emergencies. Please phone our office with any concerns and our knowledgeable staff will be happy to assist you.